Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Wrongness, The Wrongness!

This is so wrong. NCAR, the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in Boulder is opening a supercomputing facility in Wyoming. Their facility in Boulder isn't suited to house the massive clusters of computers needed to support the center's research, which includes the study of climate change. A mere 10% of the Wyoming facility's power will come from wind. The remaining 90%, presumably from coal. Armageddon reimagined: supercomputers dedicated to research on climate change consume more and more coal-generated electricity, which adds more carbon to the atmosphere, thus accelerating the warming of the planet, resulting in gobs more federal funding for the study of climate change, and more supercomputers, with the concomitant carbon -- an accelerating cycle of supercomputers, carbon, and rising temperatures.